You’re looking forward to retirement. This exciting stage in your life gives you more time to go out and explore the world, or to simply relax and enjoy each day as it comes. You want to stay as healthy, safe and independent as possible for as long as possible. And while you may feel younger and more active than ever, it’s important to be prepared for the changes that may come with aging. CCRCs, also known as continuing care retirement communities or Life Plan Communities, are an increasingly popular choice for older adults in Charleston, WV, who want to safeguard their health and vitality for the long term.
Care That’s There When You Need It
CCRCs provide an energizing lifestyle and an on-campus continuum of care. The various levels of living options and health care services allow residents to transition seamlessly throughout that continuum of care should their needs change.
Many seniors who choose to retire at a CCRC do so while they’re still young and active so they can get the most out of the community’s independent living lifestyle. They’ve exchanged their house for a more manageable living space, like a cottage, villa or apartment. In the event of an emergency, or if they ever need age-related care, they’re assured access to health services like assisted living, memory care, skilled nursing and rehabilitation, without having to set foot off campus. They’ll remain in the place they call home with people they already know and trust.
Living Options: Defined
Independent living gives active and independent older adults a new path to security and happiness. They live their lives as they wish, enjoying their current lifestyle with more time to expand their interests. At Edgewood Summit, this means wonderful dining, hospitality, services and amenities are just steps away.
Assisted living options are ideal for seniors who can still live independently but need extra assistance with daily tasks — taking medication, bathing, dressing, meals, housekeeping, transportation and other everyday needs. At Edgewood Summit assisted living, we partner with each resident and their family to develop individualized care plans. Our trained and licensed caregivers meet each resident’s scheduled and unscheduled needs 24/7.
Memory care is specialized care for those with cognitive impairment caused by Alzheimer’s or another form of dementia. Residents are cared for in a setting designed to reduce confusion and provide complete security. At Edgewood Summit, we employ the Landmarks for Living® philosophy, nurturing each resident by learning their life story and fostering their sense of independence and self-esteem. We offer comfort to both residents and their family members.
Skilled nursing is for individuals with medical needs requiring the skill of round-the-clock licensed nurses and therapists. Skilled nursing is appropriate for people recovering from illness, injury, surgery or stroke who need intensive therapy and care. At Edgewood Summit, we offer short-term and long-term skilled nursing to help each person to achieve optimal well-being and health.
Rehabilitation helps individuals regain strength and mobility following injury, surgery or another medical event. Treatment may include physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy or a combination. At Edgewood Summit, rehabilitation is carried out in partnership with the individual’s physician and under the supervision of trained professionals. We offer neurologic and orthopedic rehabilitation, post-surgical care, wound care, and comprehensive therapies.
Why Choose a CCRC?
While a high-quality, easily accessible continuum of care is a major advantage of a CCRC, there are other good reasons to seriously consider a move. Here are five reasons why making the move sooner rather than later could be beneficial for your future:
1. Freedom from home maintenance. Tasks like raking leaves, shoveling snow or fixing those leaky gutters become less appealing in our later years. The maintenance-free lifestyle at a Life Plan Community means these chores become the responsibility of a team of helpful, caring professionals. With less time spent on home maintenance, you’ll have more time to focus on the activities you enjoy most.
2. More control over finances. CCRCs are a wise plan for your future not only health-wise, but financially, too. At Edgewood Summit, your entrance fee is partially refundable and entitles you to a lifetime 20% discount (off market rates) for any long-term care you may need and receive while living at Edgewood Summit. Your monthly service fee includes services and amenities that come with our community lifestyle.
3. Improved overall health and wellness. Research shows residents are happier and healthier at a CCRC. CCRCs are designed to keep residents happy, healthy, and engaged in the world around them. Edgewood Summit’s high-quality wellness programs help you feel great from head to toe, with a holistic approach that nurtures total well-being, including your physical, spiritual, intellectual and social health.
4. Strong social connections. Staying socially active has a major impact on your health. In fact, studies have shown that active adults who continue to build and maintain relationships throughout their lives have better memory and cognition, and they decrease their risk for a variety of chronic conditions. At Edgewood Summit, we offer a variety of daily and weekly activities designed to keep you engaged with others who share your interests.
5. Peace of mind all around. When seniors stay in their home, a family member such as a spouse or child often becomes their primary caregiver if they suffer ill health. Often, this takes a toll on the family relationship and the health of the caregiver as well. (Learn how to recognize the signs of caregiver burnout here.) Seniors who choose a CCRC while healthy stay in control of their choices, including where and how they want to live. It can lift the burden of care from family members and prevent them from having to make a decision under stress in case of an unexpected health event.
Life Looks Great at Edgewood Summit
You’ll find everything you need for a vibrant, enriching retirement lifestyle at Edgewood Summit continuing care retirement community in Charleston, WV. Our residents thrive, enjoying spacious independent living options, a variety of services and amenities that make life easy and fun, and access to a full continuum of care on campus should their health needs change.To learn more about our CCRC in Charleston, WV, and our lifestyle of hospitality, services and amenities, please contact us today.